VLC Media Player, if you don’t know by now, is a multi-purpose media player that eliminates the need to download codec packs in order to watch certain types of videos. Its versatility is what makes it one of the most popular media players out there. With VLC, you can play DVDs, VCDs, audio CDs, almost every type of file and even media files that are damaged.
Now, with the latest update to the VLC Media Player app (App Store link), you can get all of this functionality on your iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. In this article, I’ll explain what you can do with this application.
How Does It Work?
If you’ve been following this app you’ll know that it was released for the iPad about a month ago. With the latest release, however, it is now a “universal binary which runs on the iPhone 4, 3GS and recent iPod Touches”.
Being that the VLC Player is so versatile and already works across multiple operating systems, it comes as no surprise that it can work on iOS devices. But, what can you do with it?
Using iTunes, you can add videos to your iOS devices that can be played with VLC Media Player 1.1.0. I should mention that the VLC app won’t play every video format, but it does play a lot of them without requiring specific encoding for your iOS device, and more extensions are being recognized with every new release.
This updated app also allows you to delete files within the application, which means that you no longer have to do it through iTunes. It also features much faster decoding thanks to assembly optimizations.
Do you use VLC as your primary media player?
Hey Facebookers, make sure to check out MakeUseOf page on Facebook. Over 24,000 fans already!
Similar MakeUseOf Articles
- Top 8 Great Alternatives To Mobile Safari [iPhone / iPod] (23 comments)
- MobileRSS: An iPhone Google Reader App with Social Media Integration (20 comments)
- How To Use NPR’s Free iPhone/iPod Touch News App (1 comments)
- Check.in To Multiple Your Location Tracker Apps At Once [Android, iPhone, iPad] (16 comments)
- Browse Top News on Your iPhone with Digg iPhone App (0 comments)
- 6 Best Free iPhone and iPad Alarm Clock Apps (1 comments)
- Zinio – Read Your Favorite Magazines On Your iPad (or PC) (19 comments)
- WhatsApp – The Perfect iPhone Messenger App (8 comments)
- What are you lookin’ at? Cool Sites To Feed Your Photo Fetish (9 comments)
- Ways to Stay on Top of The News (15 comments)