Tuesday, June 16, 2009

How to Play and/or Edit XFire Videos

No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "XFR1". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.
     Did you see this message when trying to play AVI videos taken with XFire? VLC says there is no way for me to fix it. I say, there is always a way. But at least VLC said something meaningful before challenging me with a problem. The keyword is XFR1. XFR1 is XFire's custom codec, which is too unpopular to be included in VLC.
I'll show you two ways to play and/or edit these XFR1 coded avi files.
1. XFEncoder: 
     This is an encoder that is bundled with XFire installation. You can find it at the folder where you installed XFire. For me it is "C:\Program Files\Xfire\xfencoder.exe". XFEncoder has a simple and intuitive interface, while being faster than many other encoders I have seen in the past.
     This software can both preview and edit XFR1 coded AVI files. But I recommend you encode the XFR1 videos with this software to some format that you can play later with VLC or similar media players. You can download it here.

1 comment:

[Please do not advertise, or post irrelevant links. Thank you for your cooperation.]