Friday, May 04, 2012

5 Free Apps That Will Improve Your Portable Reddit Experience [Android]

5 Free Apps That Will Improve Your Portable Reddit Experience [Android]:
android reddit appEver since the fall of Digg back in 2010, I’ve been an avid member of Reddit. And by “avid member,” I totally mean “lurker.” I browse it on a daily basis, consuming its user-generated content like a baby eats Gerber.
Do you not know what Reddit is? Have no fear. MakeUseOf’s very own Angela wrote an article about Reddit last year. In it, she gives a basic overview of what you can expect to find when you use the site. If you’ve never heard of Reddit until now, I recommend giving it a shot. You should also download and read Dave’s manual on Reddit which tells you everything you need to know about the site.
But for those of you who are already Redditors and want to browse it while on-the-go, then this article’s for you. Here are 5 Reddit-related apps for the Android phone that I’ve found useful.

BaconReader

android reddit app
As far as I’m concerned, BaconReader is the best Reddit App on Android. I browsed around for Reddit-related apps for a while, but all of that changed when I installed this one. With endorsements from Android Police and Droid Life, you can’t go wrong.
This app has everything you could need. It has a sleek and responsive interface, which is one of the biggest selling points for me. The interface is intuitive – which means easy learning curve – and it’s pretty, which means I won’t get sick of it. It has numerous customization options to make your browsing experience as best as possible.
I’ve been using BaconReader whenever I need Reddit on the go, and I’ve yet to think “I really wish there was feature X”.

Pix-o-Reddit

android reddit applications
Reddit is a website for user-generated content. Some people go for the community, for the learning opportunities, for the discussions and debates. Others…well, they only go for the laughs, the memes, and the pictures.
If you’re in that latter group, then Pix-o-Reddit might be exactly what you want. You set up the app to browse certain picture-based subreddits, then it compiles all of the images that it finds into one easy-to-read homepage.
Personally, I like the interface. It’s unique, it’s beautiful, and it’s unobtrusive. That’s a good thing when all you want to do is look at the pictures.

Reddit News Free

android reddit applications
Reddit News Free was the first app I installed when I had the epiphany that I could browse Reddit from my phone. It served me well for a number of months (until I found BaconReader). Even though I don’t use it anymore, it’s definitely worth a try–especially if you don’t like BaconReader for some reason.
The thing that bothered me most about Reddit News Free was its interface. There’s nothing wrong with it, technically speaking. I just found it to be overly generic and boring.
If you don’t mind aesthetics, maybe you’ll like it for all of the other features it offers. In fact, Reddit’s Android subreddit voted Reddit News Free to be the best Reddit app. That holds a lot of weight.

Reddit Pics

android reddit applications
Like Pix-o-Reddit, Reddit Pics is all about the picture-related subreddits. I think Pix-o-Reddit is miles ahead of Reddit Pics, but if you didn’t like that one for whatever reason, then give this one a shot–especially if you prefer to have minimalistic interfaces.
Beware, though, that Reddit Pics does operate with ads. I didn’t find them too intrusive, but you may. Then again, if you’re looking for free apps, you’ve probably dealt with ads in a number of other apps.

Reddit Sync

android reddit app
Reddit Sync is a bit different from the other apps listed in this article. Unlike BaconReader and Reddit News Free, it doesn’t necessarily try to tackle all of the features of Reddit. Unlike Pix-o-Reddit and Reddit Pics, it’s not an image compilation app. Then what is it? It’s meant to take Reddit with you anywhere you go – particularly when you’re offline.
How does it work? Any time you have Internet access, run Reddit Sync and sync it up. Then, whenever you go offline, you’ll still have access to read all of the information that was synced by Reddit Sync. Think of it as taking a snapshot of Reddit then going through that saved material when you couldn’t otherwise.

Conclusion

So there you have it. There are a few more Reddit-related apps floating around in Google Play, but most of them were early in development or discontinued.
Do you have any Reddit-related Android apps that you can recommend? Share them with us in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Please do not advertise, or post irrelevant links. Thank you for your cooperation.]