If I told you that ‘Pocket’ is the bookmarking service ‘Read it Later’, relabeled and relaunched, would you lose interest in this article? You shouldn’t, because with Pocket not only are the articles that you save bookmarked in the cloud in ‘Read it Later’ or ‘Instapaper’ fashion, but also downloaded in their entirety on your iOS or Android device, such that you are able to read them at any point, even offline.
Moreover, the new Pocket implements a handy tagging system, looks very polished and professional, and is completely free on both your desktop and device.
There’s lots to like about Pocket. Here’s my favorite 5 items:
- Download to device: no sooner than you save an article or website that it starts downloading on your iOS, iPhone, or Android. You can read articles offline; suitable, say on board planes or for devices with low bandwidth plans (see second point below).
- WIFI only: You can set it such that it only syncs when connected to WIFI.
- Tagging: you can now tag articles as well as save them.
- Filtering: type in a string to filter or filter by articles/videos/image posts. Note that video posts are not downloaded for offline viewing.
- iOS and Android apps are FREE: in contrast to most online bookmarking apps (e.g. Instapaper),
Note that Pocket will work with legacy browser extensions that import/export ‘Read it Later’ data, although many of the new features, such as tagging and filtering may not be supported.
See in action (in this rather quaint promotional video):
The verdict: a wonderful service. One thing Pocket has going for it is the very large number of apps (Twitter apps, RSS clients, browser extensions) which already support it because of its earlier incarnation as ‘Read it Later’).
Pocket is an all-in-one bookmarking, tagging, and content delivery service to all of your devices. The tagging option specifically is one that quite welcome by this user, as I often get overwhelmed with all the articles I save for later reading. Moreover, unlike some of the more prominent similar services, Pocket’s mobile apps are FREE. Highly recommended.
[Thanks go to reader Panzer for the tip].
Compatibility: all major browsers; iOS (iPhone, iPad), Android, Kindle Fire, and others.
Go to the Pocket website to sign up and get apps. Get the Pocket Chrome extension here.