Thursday, January 08, 2009

GreaseMonkey & Firefox - How To Send a Trackback With Blogger

If you use Firefox, and the Greasemonkey plugin, this might be your ideal answer.

Install Greasemonkey

Lots of people might have it already and I know 65% of my readers use Firefox. If you don't have it already, it is extremely useful, and there are thousands of user scripts for it.

Install Blogger Trackback

After you have Greasemonkey installed, install the appropriate script - the developer says both can co-exist, but I haven't tested that.

If you are using New Blogger, you can use this trackback script for greasemonkey.

If you are using old blogger, there is an older script available

Trackback In Blogger

I think the picture near enough says it all

Trackback within Blogger

Yes that is a box within the Blogger interface where you just add a trackback URL.

After you publish, you even get a nice confirmation that it was sent

Trackback Complete

Del.icio.us

The script also pops up a window for your Delicious details, and tags your posts.

Del.icio.us

Pingoat & Pingomatic

Yep, it is meant to work with Pingoat and Pingomatic as well, though when I tested with Pingoat following the instructions, I didn't see any additional visual confirmation. I didn't test Pingomatic.

I am not 100% sure this part worked for me, I need to do some more testing

Good But No Banana… yet!

It isn't a perfect solution as is, because it is using the blog name for the link URL on the receiving end, rather than the blog post title.
It should be possible to hack the Greasemonkey script to use your post title, so that it uses the post title for links on the receiving end.

I will see what I can do to get a modified version made available

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Please do not advertise, or post irrelevant links. Thank you for your cooperation.]